Man overboard!

On the weekend I heard a great story about a man who jumped overboard from a Tallink ferry, swam to a nearby island and survived for two weeks stealing crackers from a restaurant that was closed for the winter.
The man himself told the police that he had regretted his act immediately [presumably seconds after he hit the icy water. Ed.] and had swum to the nearest island. - ERR news.
That nearest island was Pihlajasaari which, as you can see from the map, is barely 1km from shore. It's a busy tourist island in summer but in April he was lucky he didn't freeze to death in the sea.


Here are my top 4 scenarios for why he jumped.
  1. The Abort. "What? This ferry goes to Estonia! Abort!" Like when you realise you've got on an escalator that takes you to the wrong floor. You can either ride it out, slowly go all the way down then find the escalator that takes you slowly back up, or you can turn round and charge back to the beginning, leaping at the end to get back to non stationary land.
  2. The Did I Leave The Oven On? Maybe you did. Maybe you didn't but there'll be no peace till you've checked. Now over the side with you scatterbrain!
  1. The No Ferries To Pihlajasaari in April Eh? "Well I'll show you. Tally-ho."
  2. The Stop The World, I'm Getting Off. "Five euros for a coffee! In a paper cup! I wake up at 6 to get on a stinky ferry, travel 2 hours to a job I don't even like then two hours back to a wife who complains I don't do enough around the house. Well no more my friend! I'm going to live on an island and listen to The Stone Roses. See you later suckers!"





Comments

Popular Posts