Lauttasaari Hill

In September of 2015 the glorious water tower that had looked over the island since 1958 was pulled to the ground, bite by bite. The locals came out and watched and shared memories and said goodbye to this one constant in our lives. The hooded crows nesting on top flew squaking in confused circles, and everyone wondered what would be built in its stead.

I spoke to my neighbour about the tower. He told me that the entire hill is hollow, a giant cave blasted out of the granite to store ammunition; A nod to Finland's precarious geographical position. Perhaps that explains the official-looking building with high fences and immaculate lawns to the north-east on Pohjoiskaari.

I used to live beneath the giant mushroom tower, now I live next to a giant ammunition store. Maybe I should teach the dog to step lightly.

Comments

Popular Posts